Thursday, June 20, 2013

6/8/13 Happy Place with Jeremy and Jason Stinson

Jeremy and I took the kayak out to the happy place on Saturday, June 8th.
We had quite and adventure - we heard the beaver a couple of times but didn't get a look.
As we pulled into the North end of the small pond from the bayou, we saw this juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.  Jeremy did a great job rowing very slowing so we could keep inching closer.


Juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron

Juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron

Juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron

As we made our way further south, a baby Northern Mockingbird fall into the water right in front of us.
We tried to help get to it and lift it out with the oar but we were too late.  We literally watched it drown.  By the time we get there this was all that was left.  Kind of sad, but it was still pretty cool.


I had Jeremy put his hand up for perspective.

A little later our friend Jason Stinson and his daugher Kiera came out and I got to play bird guide for the first time.  We saw this Green Heron..

Green Heron

Green Heron
And then we went through the thick stuff and found a Little Blue Heron nest.  I'm not sure if it was the same one that I saw the prior week, but I think it might be.  By the way, little Kiera was quite a trooper despite the spiders and bugs!

Baby Little Blue Herons




Baby Little Blue Heron
Then we went out to a Green Heron nest on the West side of the small pond and saw these baby Green Herons.  These were just eggs one week earlier so I know these are less than a week old.

Baby Green Heron

Baby Green Heron

Baby Green Heron

Baby Green Heron

Baby Green Herons

Baby Green Herons

After about an hour with Jason and Kiera, Jeremy and I got back in and went over to the Big Pond where we found this Snowy Egret (I'm almost positive) nest with these three little guys.

Baby Snowy Egrets

Baby Snowy Egrets


Baby Snowy Egret - I think this picture is pretty cool!!


Snowy Egret - Just think, this is what it will look like when it grows up...

I'm almost positive that this next bird is a Tricolored Heron.  I don't know if this is a juvenile or what, but the bright blue-bill is pretty cool.

Tricolored Heron

Tricolored Heron

Tricolored Heron - pretty cool pose I thought...

Tricolored Heron

Tricolored Heron - A little better lighting this time.

Tricolored Heron

We had to head back, but we couldn't resist trying to get a few shots of this Great Egret before we left.  I find these birds never let me get very close.

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret - He got out of focus as he took flight, but I like the water droplets in these pictures....

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret.  I just love the composition of this picture.  I wish the bird was in a little better focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment