Friday, May 31, 2013

5/25/13 Happy Place Solo

Last Saturday I took the kayak out to the Happy Place for a couple of hours by myself.  I was able to get really close to some nesting herons:

I snuck up on this Green Heron sitting on her nest.  The pictures aren't clear because the nest is surrounded by trees.

You can see in this picture she sensed or heard or smelled that I was near.
I was moving incredibly slowly and quietly, I tried to move past the tree that was blocking my view,
but when I did she hopped away and left me with a view of...

...the nest.

In this zoomed our picture you get a little better feel for the size of the nest.

Right around the corner some Little Blue Herons were nesting.  Again, I was able to get really close,
but my view was obstructed by the trees.

Nice tongue!!


This is the Little Blue Heron nest.

As I was driving out I saw this.
This is a terrible picture, but it is the first time I have ever seen a Brown Thrasher out there.
I was just getting into focus when he flew off - the one that got away as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment